1 Shostakovich street
Architect Dmitry Werner
Built in 1911-1914
The assembly of state employees and public institutions was founded in Samara in the early 1910s. Its goal was "to give its members and their families the opportunity to spend time with convenience, pleasure and profit." For this purpose, a separate building was built at the corner of Dvoryanskaya (Kuibyshev) and Pochtovaya (Shostakovich) streets. The public assembly was a kind of club. Inside there was a double-lighted hall for various kinds of events, a library and a reading room, a billiard room, rooms for card games (preference, vint, ecarte), a buffet and a dining room, facilities for the staff.
The draft of the Public Assembly belongs to Dmitry Werner. The city architect of Samara made it in the Art Nouveau style. The house has three facades, smoothly passing one into another. From Kuibyshev street there are large windows of the assembly hall with a long balcony and a forged visor on the chains, in the corner part there is an entrance group, and the facade along Shostakovich street ends with a decorative frieze and a pommel. The glazed dome over the building can be seen from all sides, making the Public Assembly an architectural and town-planning dominant of both Kuibyshev Street and Chapaev Square.
The special commission that examined the Werner project noted that the architecture of the building is relatively simple, but at the same time elegant. The ground floor of the house is finished with a rust. Werner used the same method in 1905 during the construction of the Public Library in Nizhny Novgorod. The facades of the Public Assembly are covered with yellow ceramic tile the so called "kabanchik" and green majolica. Lattices on the windows of the basement floor and fencing balconies with intricate plant forms are made according to Werner's sketches, and the decor of the frieze along Shostakovich street is decided in the form of a metallic applique.
After the revolution of 1917 the building of the Public Assembly was occupied by various institutions, and since 1975 the District Military History Museum has been operating here.